Smoked Turkey Sausage, White Bean and Pesto Soup #SoupSwappers

The weekend is here along with a new group I am posting with: Soup Saturday Swappers. The group selects a theme and posts our recipe on the assigned date. I love soup so this was immediately something I wanted to try out! The theme for this month is: Healthy Soups. A perfect theme for the new year when everyone is being a little more health conscious. 

I was originally thinking of doing a light version of a cream based soup, but I opted for something a little different. We love pesto and I know it would be perfect along side a hearty white bean soup with a little turkey sausage and a sprinkle of feta cheese.  I know that sausage is not traditionally healthy, but I used a turkey variety to lighten things up. I also opted for a sprinkle of feta, but you could easily leave this off if you wanted to reduce calories a touch more. 

My family loved this and it was the perfect meal on one of our particularly ice cold nights. 

I love that this soup eats like a meal. Sometimes I struggle with the light veggie based soups because I find myself hungry shortly after eating them! That certainly is not a problem with this soup- crammed full of beans and turkey sausage in a flavorful pesto broth. 

This weekend Ron is off to play cards and the boys and I are having a get together with my friend Kayla and a taco bar! We are also really looking forward to the Packer game on Sunday! Green Bay started rallies and other types of events yesterday- Go Pack Go! 

Stick around for next month when we make get inspired by international recipes!


Ingredients

1 lb Smoke Turkey Sausage, halved and sliced
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (15.8 oz) cans Great Northern Beans, rinsed
1/3 cup basil pesto 
4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
Crumbles Feta Cheese, optional


Instructions

In a medium soup pot, cook sausage and onion with olive oil over medium heat till onion becomes tender. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add beans, pesto, and chicken broth. Bring to a low simmer and cook for about 15 minutes. Serve in bowls with a bit of feta on top if desired. 

Serves 4. 



An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , ,