One Pot Pesto Feta Pasta with Asparagus

TGIF!

I am really tired today.... I went to see Tesla, Poison and Def Leppard on Wednesday night and I am still recovering from being up till midnight and getting up at my normal 5:00 AM alarm. Now that I am not 22 anymore apparently I can't hang. Sigh. Either way the concert was awesome and I got to drink beer. Double win. 

I love asparagus and when the season starts we eat it like crazy. It obviously has but started popping up in Wisconsin, but it is more readily available making the grocery store prices super cheap. I decided I wanted to make a one-pot pasta with asparagus and my favorite combo: feta and pesto. I threw in a little tomato and bacon because why not? This recipe take about 30 minutes to make which makes it weeknight friendly and those, as you know, are my very favorite recipes of all.  The great thing about this recipe is you can add different mix-ins if your family likes something additional like mushrooms or spinach. My family loved this pasta and, to my surprise, Kellen declared it was the best ever. At 4 years old Kellen is a good eater, but like to have his picky days. However, he seems to have developed a love for all things pesto.....

Tonight we are planning to go out for fish and then a relaxing night at home. I have my fingers crossed for an early bedtime so Ron and I can watch a movie. I think we might watch something new.... but perhaps will re-watch Patriot Games with Harrison Ford and Sean Bean (if you haven't see this before it is great as is Clear and Present Danger).  Speaking of movies, I am so excited for the new Alien movie. So. Excited. I love that franchise and sci-fi.....I have already informed Ron that he is taking me on opening day- my Dad will come too.

Have a happy Friday friends and a great weekend!  


Ingredients

1/2 small onion, diced 
1 tsp olive oil
1 lb dry shaped pasta (a "thicker"  shape like gemelli or radiatori) 
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 3/4 cup milk (I use whole)
2/3 cup pesto 
1/2 tsp black pepper 
3 oz feta cheese (1/2 a regular container), reserve remainder for topping 
1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and chopped 
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese 
8 pieces of bacon cooked crisp and chopped 
Tomatoes chopped, garnish 


Instructions

In a pot, saute onion in olive oil till tender.  Add pasta, broth, milk, pesto, pepper, and feta. Simmer until pasta is tender and sauce reduced. Reduce heat to low and stir in Parmesan cheese, asparagus (this will work best with a thin to medium stalk) and 3/4 of the chopped bacon (reserve the rest for topping). Allow asparagus to soften in the warm pasta for 2-3 minutes. 

Portion the pasta and top with feta, bacon and chopped tomatoes. 

Labels: , , , , ,