Italian Sub Pasta Salad and a Life Update!

TGIF Everyone (do people still say that?)!

I am sharing a delicious pasta salad recipe because if you're experiencing the late September heat wave like Wisconsin is you can appreciate a cool dinner late in the season. 

I love cold Italian subs. Meaty and filling with crisp veggies and a zesty dressing....maybe add a few spicy peppers ass well- yum. This pasta salad is really easy and is a crowd  pleaser. The only thing that takes a little bit of time is the chopping, but it is worth the time! The dressing has a red wine vinegar and olive oil base and I dress it up with some oregano and a little garlic. I like to use a shaped pasta like radiatore (pictured below) because I feel that it grabs all the flavors and herbs in the nooks and crannies.  I like veggies in my pasta salad to balance the spice from the hard salami and zesty dressing and peppers. I like bell peppers, banana peppers, tomatoes, olives, and green onion. If my husband was not eating this I would certainly add some mushrooms as well! 

So what else is new in my world? Well, I left my job of about 7 years in August to return to school! I desperately needed more time with my children, and unfortunately those weren't options for me if I stayed at my former job.  I did a lot of thinking over the past 7 months, and after meeting with my licensing program, lots of talking with my family, and lots of personal contemplation- I left my job.  I enjoyed my previous job, but it wasn't my passion but I happened to be really good at it. I am currently taking classes to get my license to teach Social Studies. Since I already have a bachelor's in a related field I will not have to be in school for long. Right now I am taking classes and tutoring at my Alma Mater in Green Bay. Civics and history are a true passion of mine, and I am enjoying learning more. I am also looking forward to having summers and time during the holidays with my boys while having a challenging career.  This transition has given me a lot of perspective and I didn't realizing how much I was missing. I didn't realize how my life was comprised of going through the motions and rushing all day long.  

I will give you more updates on school as I chug along on this new adventure!


Ingredients

for dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano 
1 tsp basil 
1/4 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper 

Whisk together and set aside

1 lb shaped pasta, cooked according to package instructions
2 bell peppers (I used yellow and orange), chopped
1/3 cup sliced black olives
6 oz hard salami chopped
1/3 cup sliced green onions 
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved 
8 oz mozzarella petals, halved
1/2 cup chopped banana peppers


Instructions

In  large bowl, add pasta and all veggies, meat and cheese. Pour dressing over the top and stir gently to evenly mix all ingredients. 

Cover and store in the fridge about 30 minutes before serving. 

Labels: , , , , , ,