Chili & Cheese Stuffed Peppers

I know this is not much of a picture, but this is one yummy pepper! I had some leftover chili in the freezer I needed to use, and this fit the bill. It was one of those times where is wasn't enough for two, but too much for one person for a meal.

I was in serious need of comfort food this week. A friend and co-worker had a serious medical emergency last weekend, and is not going to make it back to us. My heart has been so heavy and painful the past few days for her family. They had to make some hard decisions. She was a wonderful person and I will miss her dearly.  Memories of her fun spirit and compassion (not to mention a great sense of style) are what I am focusing and holding with me.  That's all I can say now, but enjoy the recipe.


Ingredients
2 cups beef or vegetarian chili (you can use any type you like, but I think a thick chili is best)
4 large green bell peppers, tops off and seeded
1 cup uncooked brown rice
15 oz tomato sauce, divided
1 cup cheddar cheese
Sour Cream, garnish (not pictured)

Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook brown rice according to instructions. Place cooked rice and chili in a large bowl, and stir well. In a deep, 8X8 baking dish cover bottom with 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Stuff the peppers with the rice mixture and set into the baking dish. Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over the peppers and top with cheese. Bake uncovered for 60 minutes. Garnish with sour cream.

Labels: , ,