Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy

What was your favorite t.v. dinner growing up?  I was a Salisbury steak girl and loved the mushroom gravy. These days I have moved away from microwave meals, but will get a hankering of a Salisbury steak every now and then.  When Laura from Tide & Thyme posted a recipe for Salisbury Steak with Mushroom-Onion Gravy I about drooled on my keyboard.  All of my childhood memories of watching Hey Dude or Salute Your Shorts  while eating an occasional t.v. dinner.  I should add that my mom did not make use this regularly and it was a special treat….. she reads this and would not what people to think that she only fed us food from the microwave (sorry Mom J).  

This recipe is really easy and perfect for a busy weeknight. I made this for my friend Emily and her daughter on a Law and Order night and we all gobbled it up!  The flavor of the meat is fantastic and the gravy was filled with tender onions and pieces of meaty mushrooms. I served this with au gratin potatoes and steamed peas. The entire meal was a winner in my house and I can’t wait to make it again!  Plus, who can really resist the retro appeal of a recipe like this? Maybe you can, but I like old recipe and think it is fun make old favorites.  In the spirit of an upcoming tribute to Mad Men later this week I am going to share a few retro recipes with you before the post on Friday.

Tonight, I am catching up on some housework and am having dinner with my friend Amanda.  However, Ron may have to work late and that could throw the plans up in the air completely!  I also need to work on a few recipe, but we will see what the night holds! 


Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef 
1/2 medium onion, minced
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbl vegetable oil

For the gravy:
1 large yellow onion, sliced into thin slices
8 oz portobello mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbl tomato paste
1/4 cup flour
3 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper


Instructions

By hand, combine the ground beef, minced onion, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, eggs, salt and pepper. Gently mix until all combined. Form into 6 oval patties and set aside.

Melt butter and oil together in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add beef patties and cook on both sides, until browned (I cook about 3-4 minutes per side because they’ll finish cooking in the gravy).
Remove from the skillet and drain any excess grease.

Reduce the heat to medium and add in the sliced onions and mushrooms to empty skillet. Stir and cook until golden brown and and tender.Stir in the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the beef stock and wine. Stir and allow the gravy to reduce and thicken.

Return the patties to the gravy. Spoon the gravy over the top to coat, and let them simmer for about 15 minutes.

To serve, plate and top with mushroom onion gravy. 

Labels: ,