Creamy Tex Mex Slow Cooker Chicken

Happy Cinco De Mayo! 

I have to laugh a little bit because when Ron and I were in Mexico a few years ago during Cinco De Mayo it was just like any other day. We asked out of curiosity if it is something celebrated and we were told that in their area (Puerto Vallarta) it was not, and it was considered to be more of an Americanized holiday. I assume that this could be different depending on the region, but I always found that to be interesting. 

All of that being said, I couldn't resist sharing this tex mex style chicken with you!  I found this recipe on Pinterest, but this recipe comes from Gonna Want Seconds.  I love easy slow cooker recipe and this looked right up my ally. I served ours over copycat Chipotle's cilantro lime rice (recipe is coming soon), but it would also be delicious in a tortillas burrito style! My family likes toppings and I decided to serve a little homemade guacamole and shredded sharp cheddar over out chicken. My boys and I loved this chicken and we all cleaned our plates. My friend's daughter was over to play and she also cleaned her plate- kid approved recipe for the win!  This recipe is fantastic for the weeknight because it is ready right when we get home!

Tonight, I am headed to the gym and them home to grill burgers and sip margaritas. I am trying out a new margarita mix recipe and am excited to sip on one while enjoying the nice weather.  I am also hoping to get the rest of my mulching done, but it may rain later in the evening and will have to play it by ear. 


Ingredients

1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles
1 (15.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8 oz) can corn, drained
1 small can sliced black olives
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 recipe of taco seasoning or 1 envelope
8 oz cream cheese, cubed

Optional Garnishes:
Guacamole
Sour Cream
Sliced Green Onions
Salsa
Shredded Cheese


Instructions

Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker and sprinkle taco seasoning over the top. Layer the other ingredients evenly over the chicken, except the cream cheese. 

Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.

Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred and return to slow cooker. Add cream cheese, stir, cover and continue to cook on high for 30 minutes.  Stir well and over rice with desired toppings.

Labels: , , ,