Creamy Tortelini, Sausage and Kale Soup

Hello from snowy Green Bay! Brrr.....

Today is the perfect day for a nice bowl of warm soup.  A few of my cold weather favorites are: Simple Taco SoupThai Chicken Curry and Butternut Squash Soup, Lasagna Soup, and Lentil and Sausage Soup.  For more awesome soup recipes from me click here.  

This recipe came together when we had a particularly cold fall night and wanted something warm in our bellies (yes, I am behind posting!).  I knew I wanted something with tortellini and had some sausage and kale that needed to be used, and the soup was created!

This recipe is really easy and comes together quick due to that fast cooking time of the tortellini. My family love this dish. The pasta will absorb much of the liquid over night, but it still made excellent leftovers the next day.  I love how hearty this soup is- perfect for a snowy day. 

I had an exciting day today! Today was my 100th class at Pure Barre. I absolutely love these classes and am so proud of myself.  We are also headed to a birthday party this afternoon with one of Kellen's friends at a bouncy house place. Tonight, I am hoping for lots of relaxing and I am hoping we can watch the 2nd Harry Potter with Kellen (he loved the first one!) and wrap a few gifts (I found Christmas taco wrapping paper at Target!). 

Stay warm friends!


Ingredients

1 lb italian sausage
8 cups chicken broth
20 oz refrigerated tortellini
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1 cup whole or 2% milk
1/3 cup flour
2 cups chopped kale


Instructions

Brown sausage until no longer pink and crumbles easily. Drain and add broth, tortellini, garlic powder, and red pepper. Simmer till pasta is almost cooked. 

While soup simmers, whisk together flour and milk. When pasta is almost cooked stir in the milk and four mixture. Simmer an additional 2-3 minutes to allow soup to thicken. 

Add the kale and cook an additional 2 minutes. 

Ladle into bowls and serve immediately. 

Labels: , , ,